- Ten Things to Consider When Forming a Joint Venture
- M&A: Real Estate Transfer Taxes in a Sale of a “Controlling Interest” of a Company
- Is there now a Federal "veil piercing" standard?
- Officers of a Company can be Personally Liable for the Company’s Failure to Collect or Remit Sales Taxes
- Are Your Contractors Actually Employees? Are You Sure?
Monthly Archives: September 2011
This may be surprising to some, if not counter-intuitive, but sixteen states impose a real estate transfer tax when a controlling interest in a legal entity is transferred. See the table below. The real estate transfer tax triggered by these … Continue reading
Companies often use criminal background checks and credit checks when considering an individual for employment. This practice should be used with caution. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission considers it illegal to make an employment decision based on a person’s criminal … Continue reading
New Sections 9(a)(4) and 9(f) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 were added by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Although little noticed thus far, these two provisions could soon become very common in lawsuits relating to … Continue reading